Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The World Is Flat


I have always wanted to read the book written by Thomas L. Friedman, namely, The World is Flat, after hearing my parents talk about it. This book is an interesting look at the changes that have occurred throughout the 21st century. This book claims that the world is not yet flat, but still round. The reason for this shift is because of the global competitive market that we are living in.

Friedman explains that there are "ten flatteners": 

#1: The collapse of the Berlin Wall
#2: Netscape
#3: Workflow software
#4: Open sourcing
#5: Outsourcing
#6: Off-shoring
#7: Supply chaining
#8: Insourcing
#9: In-forming
#10: "The Steroids"

He believes that these flatteners did not happen on their own. They took hold of one another and fell into an environment that was waiting for them.

He then talks about the idea of outsourcing. Outsourcing is a touchy subject with me. I cannot decide if it is right or wrong. Friedman wonders whether we are giving more opportunities to people or whether we are exploiting them. Those are two ideas that I am constantly playing with. I feel as though outsourcing is taking jobs away from people in our country and giving it to others in another country. I also begin to wonder that if people in our country had the best education, wouldn't they be best qualified for the job? Friedman explores this idea. He believes that if you cannot keep with globalization then you will be left in the dust. He stresses the importance of adapting in our world and taking control of an area where you feel the most passionate about. I liked his idea of "fear stimulates change and that is a good thing". I definitely believe this is true.

The most interesting one to me, mainly because of the name was "The Steroids". This is a title for things like IPods, cell phones, PDAs and instant messaging. Why did he call them steroids? Is he thinking that these things are fueling the idea of the world becoming flat?? Just a thought!




No comments: