Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Social Media

I would like to begin with a definition of what social media actually is. This is taken from Wikipedia.com: "Social media is an umbrella term that defines the various activities that integrate technology, social interaction, and the construction of words, pictures, videos and audio. This interaction, and the manner in which information is presented, depends on the varied perspectives and "building" of shared meaning, as people share their stories, and understandings"

There are many different forms of social media like, podcasts, blogs, message boards, wikis, etc. It is so amazing to me how these different ways of communicating keep being invented. It scares me to think of what might come up next.

We were just talking about web 2.0 in Prof. Cabot's class last week. He showed us a few interesting videos from YouTube that describes what Web 2.0 is. I found a few of my own. Check them out:

This one is pretty cool: Web 2.0 The Machine is Us/ing Us
This one is pretty educational: What is Web 2.0?

The man in the second video keeps talking about a Mash-Up and how everybody knows what that is. Well, I did not. So, I looked it up. "In technology, a mashup is a web application that combines data from more than one source into a single integrated tool; an example is the use of cartographic data from Google Maps to add location information to real-estate data, thereby creating a new and distinct web service that was not originally provided by either source" (wikipedia.com) Just thought I would let you know, in case you did not, like me!

1 comment:

camccune said...

Yeah, I really like "The Machine is Us/ing Us" video. In fact, I think I showed it at the start of this class.

It is amazing what people come up with by mashing stuff together. The best part is that a lot of people are trying to make different forms of media more accessible, so you don't have to be a rocket scientist to make it work. Just compare creating a web page to creating a blog.